…postcards rock for driving incredibly cheap, highly targeted traffic.
Here’s a short article by Luke Jaten about more cool reasons to use postcards for traffic.
Direct mail is one of those mediums that is typically overlooked in the age of the almighty internet and that’s ok with the relatively few of us still using it with great results. Here are 7 reasons you might want to consider joining the ranks of smart marketers using direct mail.
1. Extremely targeted – You can target markets by demographics, psychographics, or (my personal favorite) past purchases. There are compiled lists, which consist of contacts who share some similarity like living in the same zip code, belonging to the same political party, or having blue eyes.
There are responders lists, which are made up of people who have responded or opted in in some way like requesting more info, filling out a warranty card, or calling from a radio or TV commercial. Then there are my favorite kind of lists. These are list of buyers of some other product or service. People on these lists have already demonstrated a willingness to buy something.
2. Super stealthy – Unlike marketing online, direct mail gives you the ability to test, grow, and build a campaign or business with very little visibility by your competitors. It’s very easy with all the tools available to “spy” on your competition online, not so with direct mail. They won’t know how much you’re mailing, how often, or have any idea what your conversions are.
3. Easily scalable – The size you can grow to is only limited by the number of available responsive lists. With direct mail you can very predictably scale your business by continuing to test additional lists and with a knowledgeable list broker you can predict what size you can scale to sometimes after the first test.
4. Very few moving parts – With a direct mail campaign your biggest variables are list, mail piece, and response device. Obviously there are other components (or parts within the parts). But having just 3 main things to test makes it easy to track and easy to tweak.
5. Low-tech/Beginner friendly – You don’t need to know how to write code. You don’t have to hire someone to write code. There’s
no code involved. Once the copy and layout is done for the mail piece, turning on your campaign is as easy as calling your list broker to order names and then calling the print/mail shop to place your order. You don’t even have to touch a stamp if you don’t want to.
6. Relatively cheap – In my experience I’ve seen per lead costs for as low as $2, optins for $4, and per sale cost for a $1,495 dollar product as low as $150. Imagine offering a JV partner $150 bucks for a $1,495 sale. Also leads generated via direct mail tend to have a MUCH higher LTV (lifetime value) and fewer unsubscribes and spam complaints.
7. It’s an independent platform – What do I mean by independent platform? Well unlike most of the online sources you may be used to there is no big company telling you what your ads can look like. Obviously you are still regulated by the FTC and various other entities concerned with rules regarding what you can and can’t say in your advertising. But there are no companies telling you your message doesn’t meet with their approval, no quality scores, no algorithym changes, none of the things that can adversly affect your business overnight.
BONUS REASON: Very little competition. Today inboxes are full and people are eager to hit the delete or worse the spam complaint
button. But just the opposite is true for most people’s mailboxes. Your message stands out when yours is the only one they’re holding in their hands reading.
Bottom line… it doesn’t matter if you use direct mail for lead generation, direct selling, or simply to fill up webinars, direct mail can help you build and grow your business predictably and with very little hassle.
While postcards ARE really great and very healthy, don’t have too many for breakfast.
Overindulgence can be a killer.
Remember Thursday evening Luke and I are doing a teleseminar on integrating (that word sounds so corporate) direct, email, and several other forms of online traffic into one big cohesive unit.
The call is at 6:00PM PST (9:00PM EST) Thursday night
Phone: (773) 897-0046
Conference ID: 36185#
According to Luke, “It’s gonna be fun AND educational.”
It will be all that AND make for a healthy meal.
See you there,
P.S. I’m gonna put a disclaimer here in case someone out there believes me about eating postcards. I don’t REALLY recommend that. I mean I did taste one a minute ago. I have to admit it wasn’t too bad.
But the ink may really mess you up so please don’t eat them unless you are a professional.
End of disclaimer.
See you on our call Thursday.
6:00PM PST (9:00PM EST) Thursday night
Phone: (773) 897-0046
Conference ID: 36185#